Monday, December 20, 2010

Saturday, the day the cast list was put up on the little school website. I was in the middle of an obsessive vampire marathon when i suddenly remembered. I jumped up and raced to the only available computer. I was so sure, so sure that I would become the fabulous villain of the musical, with my own solo and the chance to be pulled over by strangers complimenting me on how entertaining i was. I told my mom and sister that even if I didn't get the part I wouldn't mope about it, but then again I was so sure that I had the part.
I clicked on the link to the list and scrolled down.
The cat: Maddie B.
Excuse me? Maddie was one of the best actresses in our program, I understood how she would get what I wanted desperately. I thought she'd do better as the Bullfrog though, that part had a solo as well, probably too small for her. Of course I didn't get bullfrog because I totally blew the audition for the song, My friend trinity did. This was her first year in advanced Drama and she got a main part. I was happy for her because she fit it perfectly.
I observed the list some more. Farm animals: Izzy
I didn't even get a line, I wouldn't be able to have a solo, no stranger would pull me over and compliment me. I was just going to be in the back with all the other tall students, where no one would see me. And I was so sure of this one, I had a better part in last years musical. I cued a song with my line, I had the funniest ad lib out of all the searching parents. It was repeated throughout the crowd, my dad said.
I know I said I wouldn't cry, but then again i felt rather insulted. I walked silently up to my room and hugged a pillow. It was to be expected I guess, I was only good for one part and since someone was better at that part then me I lost it. Having no where else to be placed they put me on the island of misfit toys. I'll show them though, I'll be the best farm animal in the world and they will all regret their decision. Or maybe I'll become an understudy for Maddie.
My positivity made me smile, I wasn't like those wimpy girls who gave up. No, I'm an entertainer, I make things work awesomely that way. I pulled out my doodle book and my crayons and drew a black cat, her arms out wide, her pink lips open as if she were singing. I drew Maddie's hair on the kitty and colored in a red background. Above her I drew five large water drops.
I put it all away and walked towards my mirror, picking up a hairbrush and holding it like a microphone, I sang the beginning of the cat's solo. It would've been so much fun to play that part. Meh, if my acting career doesn't do well I'll become an oboist.
Until next time my farm animals :-*

1 comment:

  1. Izzy: Perseverance is everything!! Don't let them get you down -- you're the only one who can stop them from doing it!! No one is "better" than you; the one who casts the show has different tastes, and not always with the good of the show in mind.
    You will have your solos. I know it! Just don't ever give up!!

    xo
    Grams

    ReplyDelete